Thursday, May 15, 2008

Decadent Fudge Macaroons

Wow! Just finished baking the first batch of Fudge Macaroons. Anne Shelly of Fireworks Pottery Studio outside of Joseph gave me this recipe and I'd love to share it. We first tasted Anne's macaroons when she brought a platter of them to a Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts organizational meeting. Anne and Jim create such beautiful ceramic work at their studio. It's nice to know that she's such a wonderful gourmet cook too. This afternoon we're receiving some guests from the U.K. I'm sure they'll appreciate such delicate treats and the pungent odor of chocolate wafting throughout the entire bed & breakfast!

Fudge Macaroons (about 3 dozen)

Melt: 3 oz. bitter chocolate (I used Baker's) and 9 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (better yet, use a fine bittersweet chocolate such as Guittard or Scharffenberger) (I often melt chocolate on very low power in the microwave--just be careful and don't overdo it)

Whip to soft peaks: 3/4 cup egg whites and a pinch of salt

Add slowly: 1 1/2 cups white sugar

Beat until stiff then add: 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Mix in the melted chocolate (it may be warm but not hot). Stir in 20 oz. flaked coconut. Form the mixture into rough balls a little bigger than a walnut and place 12 to a pan on parchment lined cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees F. about 15 minutes or until just firm enough to pick up without falling apart. Be sure not to bake too long or the coconut will start to blacken on the tips!

1 comment:

Snave said...

Hello!

Thanks for visiting my weblog. How did you find it? Just curious!

I think our part of the state is a well-kept secret. Certainly we don't want it to be overrun, but it's great to share with others. Some people think of eastern Oregon as sagebrush and desert country only, but there is some mighty grand mountain scenery and lots and lots of forest, eh!

I will start a links section on "Eastern Oregon Roadtrips", and I'll link your blog there. My plan is to have links for different towns in eastern Oregon. You can occupy the first slot in the Joseph section!

If you want to link my "Roadtrips" site at your place, or refer people to the Highway 82 post, that's sure fine with me.

Next time I'm in Joseph I'll stop and say "Hello!" My cousins are Lynn Stein and Bob Duncan, by the way. Great people!